Tuesday 2 February 2010

Louisa Gray









Since I met Louisa, I have always been transfixed and mesmerised by her illustrations. Scrap that, I would say slightly obsessed. I absolutely adore her work for their collage approach to illustration. The illustrations and graphics that Louisa creates are beautiful, kitsch and clever. Using vintage photographs layered on acidic coloured paper makes something that simply makes you smile to look at.

Louisa has just completed a Masters in Communication Design at Central Saint Martins School of Art. Her work centres around appreciating the bizarre in an attempt to escape the banal. She loves saturated colour, cutting and pasting, and collecting things; to produce work with an eclectic and handmade approach.

I saw Louisa last night at her gorgeous little house in Clapham Junction...

What are you doing right now?

Not doing what I should be.


I love to illustrate because...

It takes my mind of things. It is a form of escapism.


What is your proudest moment in life so far?

Seeing my work on the wall at the Mall Galleries for my St. Martins MA show.

Seeing my illustration for Lolita in print.



What are your vices?

Talking, markets, anything Mexican, lace, leopard print, old photographs, Thai food and my new riding boots.


Best music track to listen to to get the creative juices flowing...

At the moment I'm listening to Florence and the Machine, The XX and Temper Trap.

Too hard to choose a single track...


What does 2010 hold?

Fun times.

www.louisascarletgray.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment